Matthew 7:21: "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter."
Matthew 7:24: "Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock."
Catholicism does not teach a doctrine of works, and does not teach that a person can earn his/her way into heaven. While faith is indeed necessary to please God, it is only the beginning of the process of justification, by which we are saved. We are not saved by faith alone (sola fide).
- Faith and Works - by Jimmy Akin (catholic.com)
- Sola Fide - Salvation by Faith Alone? [46 min] - Must enter an email address to download; by John Martignoni (biblechristiansociety.com)
- Faith Alone vs Faith & Works [2 min] - by John Martignoni (biblechristiansociety.com)
- Aw-fensive Strategies - Questions for someone trying to evangelize you out of the Church with sola fide (catholic.com)
- Of Water and the Spirit - "The New Birth Is Not by Faith Alone" - many scripture citations; by Alex Jones (catholic.com)
- Do Catholics think they can buy their way into heaven? - The Catholic Catechism, and analysis of scripture with many scripture verses at the end (davidmacd.com)
- Aren’t We Saved by Faith Alone? - Presented as a conversation between two people, with lots of analysis of scripture; by Kenneth J. Howell (catholic.com)
- Not by Faith Alone - Looks specifically at James 2, and Catholic and Protestant interpretations. By Jimmy Akin (catholic.com)
- By Faith Alone? - Martin Luther's creation of this belief, and a brief analysis; by Leslie Rumble, M.S.C. (catholic.com)
- The Disasters of ‘By Faith Alone’ - A look at history, morality, many scripture passages, and the consequences of this teaching; by Fr. Leslie Rumble (catholic.com)
- Was Abraham Saved by Faith Alone? - And was he justified as a Jew or Gentile? The full article can be downloaded in pdf format; by Steven Ray (catholic-convert.com)
- The Hard Work of Faith - How hesitancy over faith alone and reading the Bible resulted in a conversion to Catholicism; by James E. Tynen (catholic.com)
- Sola Fide Debate [65 min] - A debate on salvation between John Martignoni and Dr. James Saxon. You must enter an email address to download (biblechristiansociety.com)
- Justification - faith, works, justification is a process (scripturecatholic.com)
- Salvation - works, salvation can be lost (scripturecatholic.com)
- Are Catholics Saved? [2 min] - Are Catholics born again according to the Bible? By John Martignoni (biblechristiansociety.com)
- Are Catholics Saved? [6 min] - would Catholics be saved even if the doctrine of Faith Alone were true? By ithcus777