The "Inquisition" is often used by opponents of Catholicism in an attempt to prove that the Church is intolerant of others' beliefs, or that it isn't really the church Christ established, or that the Church approves of violence. Phoney facts and statistics are often used to back up these claims.
There are actually three different periods in history which are referred to as "The Inquisition": the Medieval Inquisition, the Roman Inquisition, and the Spanish Inquisition, which is probably the most famous. But to understand why these events should not be embarrassing to Catholics, we must study the societies and secular powers, as well as the purpose and legal aspects of the interrogations, as they existed during that time.
- The Inquisition - Nihil Obstat & Imprimatur (catholic.com)
- Secrets of the Spanish Inquisition Revealed - Setting history straight on the Spanish Inquisition; by Robert P. Lockwood (catholic.com)
- The Inquisition - Brief history before and during the events of the Spanish Inquisition; by Anne W. Carroll (catholiceducation.org)
- Beyond the Myth of The Inquisition: Ours Is "The Golden Age - A long and scholarly look at the Spanish Inquisition, with several secular academics cited; by Fr. Brian Van Hove (catholiceducation.org)
- The Truth About the Spanish Inquisition - A look at both the medieval and Spanish Inquisitions; by Thomas F. Madden (catholiceducation.org)
- An Inquisition Primer - Answers to common questions on the Inquisition and what the trials were about; by Robert P. Lockwood (catholic.com)
- Inquisition - Some facts about the Inquisition and a brief answer to why its myths persist despite modern scholarship; by James Hitchcock (catholiceducation.org)
- Status: Inquisition in the Catholic Church - What really happened, and how torture was commonly viewed during the time period; by Benjamin D. Wicker (catholiceducation.org)
- Nobody Expects the Mosaic Inquisition! - Pointing out to Protestants the Inquisition recorded in the Bible, and how it can be used to better understand the Spanish Inquisition; by James Akin (catholic.com)
- Inquisition - From the Catholic Encyclopedia (newadvent.org)
- The Church and Torture - By Fr. Brian W. Harrison (catholic.com)